Google The Orphan

                                                                                 Back to Homepage                        


Chapter 1


              What am I going to do now. Where am I going? All his neighbors had gone home and he was left all alone at the cemetery. They had just buried his mom. His father passed away a long time ago. And now he was the only one left in the family. He didn't know any of his relatives. They were just renting their house. His mother did not pay rent for the last three months. He had nowhere to go. He said his final good bye to his mom in her grave and prayed a little to God. Lord what's going to happen to me. I'm only nine years old, who's going to take good care of me now? Suddenly, it started raining. He looked around and ran towards the large gate of the cemetery. He was a bit soaked when he reached the road outside. A big bus stopped and a woman stepped out. He touched his pocket. This is all I've got, he thought. He ran towards the bus and climbed up, inside he looked around and found himself a seat near the window. He sat holding his pant's pocket. Holding on to his last possession. The bus was full of passengers and he heard from one of them that the bus was going for Manila. He was so tired. He haven't slept since last night. 
       "Hey, wake up little boy!" said the bus conductor. "Do you have a place to go, huh?"
       The young boy opened his eyes and looked at the man in front of him. "Where am I, huh?" he asked and rubbed his eyes.
       "We're in Manila now, you can't sleep here," he answered and warned the boy. "I knew you haven't paid, I just didn't wake you up because you looked so tired."
       "Here, here's my last money," he said and held up his palm to the conductor.
       "No, it's okay. Use that wherever your going to," he answered.